About the course:
One of VALIDATE’s key aims is to 'help interested people in the general public find out more about our research and the diseases we’re tackling in an accessible format'. With this in mind, in July 2022, we asked First Create The Media to provide our members with training on how to best communicate their scientific research to the general public. In Storytelling for Scientists, attendees will delved into the techniques of narrative and storytelling and discovered tools and tips to them communicate research in a clear, compelling way.
Topics that were covered
- What we mean by 'story' and why it's important
- The first thing you should always do before you start creating your story
- How to craft a compelling story, including structure, plot, characters, action, setting, emotion and ‘diamond details’
- How to use ‘cover versions’ and alternative perspectives to make your story go further
- Practical advice and tips for how to tell your story
The Seminar Provider
First Create The Media is a communications consultancy specialising in life sciences and the convergence of biology and technology. We believe that it’s not enough to do great science: it needs context, clarity and a coherent story to make an impact and attract the right kind of attention. We work with all kinds of organisations, from startups and larger companies to charities, universities, and institutes, to get their messages to the audiences that matter.