The VALIDATE Network - Vaccine development for complex intracellular neglected pathogens
Journals Manager - BSI, 2019
Application deadline: 18 Oct 2019
Salary: £34,000 - £38,000 depending on experience
Hours: Full-time permanent role, 35 hours a week
The British Society for Immunology is the largest membership body for the field in Europe, supporting members in clinical and non-clinical research, scholarship and practice. This is a dynamic time for immunology; the work we do for our members is more important than ever in helping to disseminate ideas, promote innovation and support careers. Our mission as a Learned Society is to promote and support excellence in research, scholarship and clinical practice in immunology for the benefit of human and animal health. To meet this objective, we undertake a range of activities in support of members, including delivering an extensive programme of meetings and events, promoting and disseminating research and good practice in immunology, translational medicine and vaccination, and engaging with other science partners in pursuit of shared goals. The Society has two journals, Immunology and Clinical & Experimental Immunology, which are global leaders in their field with good impact factors, and which are published by Wiley. The journals manager works on both journals in equal measure and ensures that staff are focussed to support the two journals according to their strategic aims. The revenue we earn from our journals enables us to run the many activities for UK immunologists which are highly valued and support careers, networks and ground-breaking research efforts.
Main duties of the role:
To oversee all editorial functions and ensure that publishing and editorial procedures adhere to current best practice.
• To build and maintain productive and effective working relationships with the Editors-inChief of both journals, their associate editors and editorial board members, and our publishers Wiley, to continuously enhance the quality and visibility of the journals.
• To work with the publishing team.
• Identify and actively commission review content for both journals and work with the Editorial Coordinator to oversee the timely delivery and appropriate scheduling of this content.
• To lead journal development in consultation with the Editors-in-Chief and with support from the Head of Publishing.
• To manage and develop the Editorial Coordinator and, ensuring they have training on new technology and other areas as necessary.
• Work closely with the BSI Marketing Officer to carry out day-to-day marketing activity for the BSI journals.
• Keep updated on the finances of the journals and work on the budget with the Head of Publishing and Finance Director.
• Work with the Head of Publishing, Editors-in-Chief to recruit Associate Editors and Editorial Board members
• Work with the Editors-in-Chief to compile each issue of the journal, checking the pipeline to advise on the number of reviews and original articles.
• Holding back papers as necessary (press releases or reviews for special series).
• Work with the Editorial Coordinator to ensure that the pipeline remains healthy and papers move through the system efficiently.
For more details, or to apply, check out the call webpage.