Post-doc (TB), Texas Biomedical Research Institute, USA, 2018
Post-doctoral Researcher (TB)
Employer: Texas Biomedical Research Facility, USA
Responsibilities of the Post-Doctoral scientist will be to design, execute, and supervise research in immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, and cellular biology in the field of Tuberculosis (TB) by using both in vitro and in vivo models. Furthermore the candidate will assist Drs. Jordi B. Torrelles to develop research goals for his lab; coordinate the development and implementation of new and/or revised research methodologies and techniques; plan, design and perform complex laboratory experiments and testing criteria, develop new laboratory techniques, and trouble-shoot protocols; collect, analyze and evaluate complex research data; set up, operate and maintain laboratory equipment; prepare manuscripts, articles, abstracts and research reports for publication in peer-reviewed journals; attend and present at national and international scientific conferences, workshops and seminars; assist with the development and preparation of grant proposals to obtain outside funding in support of research; conduct independent critical analysis of research literature related to research being investigated; train and/or manages work of undergraduate and graduate students, and other laboratory (or research) staff; monitor and enforce laboratory safety procedures to ensure compliance with OSHA and EHS regulations as well as human (IRB), animal (IACUC), radioactive, and biohazard (IBC) safety protocols; maintain laboratory notebooks; participates in seminars and activities; attend laboratory meetings; other duties as assigned.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Biomedical Sciences/Immunology or similar.
Experience in the experimental design, implementation, performance, gathering of data and interpretation of results is required.
Research Skills (Required):
- Cell Biology: Required to have experience in isolation of primary (human and/or mouse) cells and cell line maintenance as well as performing in vitro infections.
- Microbiology: Required BSL-3 work experience.
- Molecular Biology: Required experience in basic and advanced molecular techniques such as performing polymerase chain reaction; DNA & RNA extraction form animal tissues and cells, qRT-PCR; bacterial transformation and selection; mammalian transfection and selection; primer design.
- Immunology: Required experience in immunophenotyping by flow cytometry;ELISPOT; cytotoxic T cell assay; ELISA; lymphocyte proliferation assay; host cellactivation assays; antigen culture and stimulation; immunoprecipitation;immunocytochemistry and immunohistochemistry; histological analysis of organsand tissues.
- Animals: Required experience in proper mouse handling.
Research Skills (preferred):
- Cell Biology: Experience in microscopy techniques (confocal andimmunofluorescence microscopy).
- Animals: Intranasal and subcutaneous immunizations; aerosol infection model ofM.tb; intratracheal delivery; proficient evaluation of mouse survival,necropsy/harvesting organs techniques.
- Microbiology: Culture of virulent of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M.tb); culture ofnon-pathogenic mycobacterial strains under BSL-2 conditions; phagocytosisassay; microbial cultures; colony forming unit enumeration.
- Bioinformatics: Experience in Ingenuity Pathway Analysis
- Software: Experience in proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint,Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, ImageJ, Xcalibur, FV10 Olympus imageviewer, FlowJo, FACSDiva, Aperio Imagescope.
- Working with BSL-3 pathogens (i.e. susceptible and drug resistant M.tuberculosis strains)
- Working with M. tuberculosis infected animals (mouse and NHP)
(Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program is required. Safety training, equipment, clothing and supplies will be provided when required).
- This is a full time position (a minimum of 40 hours a week).
[This is a full-time salaried (exempt) position. Texas business hours are Mondays through Fridays -8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Texas Biomed is committed to a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is required].
To apply, contact Dr Jordi Torrelles directly at JTorrelles@txbiomed.org.
Closing date: None stated