Principal Programme Officer - Africa CDC, 2020
Deadline for applications: 21 May 2020
The Principal Programme Officer serves as a principal advisor and provides technical support to the Deputy Director, Africa CDC on internal and external affairs of the Africa CDC. The Principal Programme Officer serves as the focus for critical discussions and decisions impacting on policy and programme operations at the agency; helps in determining objectives and priorities; provides leadership in resolution of issues that cross organizational lines; and assists in assuring that agency policy, strategic and management priorities are represented in all matters, meetings and discussions as appropriate.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Principal Programme Officer (Deputy Director’s Office), Africa CDC shall:
- Advise the Deputy Director, senior staff members and key agency officials on all activities that affect agency wide policy, programmes, projects and initiatives.
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of the Deputy Director’s objectives and exercises analytical judgment in order to anticipate potential problems and sensitive issues that may arise.
- Foster an intra-agency need to prepare carefully researched materials for the Deputy Director’s attention. Assures that all recommendations presented are comprehensive, accurate, fully discussed and encompass the issues involved.
- On an agency-wide basis, interpret the Deputy Director’s objectives and informs other key officials of proposed actions to insure their inputs into tasks that may affect their areas of responsibility.
- Support the Deputy Director by monitoring activities throughout the Agency for consistency of approach and providing coordinative leadership to key officials and programme managers in resolving problems.
- Coordinate or directly develops, prepares and presents memoranda, briefings, staff papers and other materials concerning substantive questions, issues, findings, conclusions and proposed solutions or suggested courses of action.
- Coordinate or directly prepares talking points and briefing materials for meetings of the Deputy Director, including synthesizing all or parts of materials prepared by other officials.
- Coordinate the preparation of briefing materials and other documentation in support of the Deputy Director’s responsibilities.
- Oversee and coordinate the daily activities of the Deputy Director including determine the Deputy Director’s schedule based on agreed priorities; evaluates and determines the priority of internal/external meeting requests and necessary staff attendance and seeks opportunities for the Deputy Director to advocate for the Agency mission and programmes.
- Support the Deputy Director with coordination and integration of functions and activities of the Executive Office (Director and Deputy Director) and meets regularly with relevant staff to ensure attention and timely response to high priority issues.
- Organize all information that flows to and from the Deputy Director to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in decision-making and delegates action items sent to the Deputy Director for handling by other technical and Front Office staff.
- Act as a final point of clearance for all materials going to and from the Deputy Director.
- Support the resolving of issues crossing organizational lines, coordinates decision-making and planning processes to ensure that Africa CDC focuses on its highest priority initiatives.
- Treat sensitive information with the utmost discretion and confidentiality. This information includes, but is not limited to: personnel information and detailed financial information
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by the Deputy Director or Director.
For more information, or to apply, visit the job webpage.