The VALIDATE Network - Vaccine development for complex intracellular neglected pathogens
Research Technician - Institute of Infection and Global Health, University of Liverpool, 2020
Deadline for applications: 16 Jan 2020 23:30 (UK)
Location: Liverpool, UK
Salary: £21,236 - £24,461 pa
• The provision of an effective and efficient technical service within the University for staff and students.
• Instrumental in the safe and efficient operation of a technical facility/group of facilities supporting technical and academic users e.g. teaching laboratories, research laboratories, workshops or studios. Role holders may also support other facilities where required.
• Occasional communication with staff and students on issues relating to technical services, facilities and equipment. University Context: A technical role supporting varied activity in an academic department/school/institute or centralised teaching facility.
The balance of accountabilities will vary depending on the nature of the technical facilities and activities supported by a particular role:
• Assists in the operation of a safe working environment using good working practices in line with relevant legal requirements.
• Assists in the organisation and supervision of specialist technical facilities and the equipment within them.
• Helps to ensure the safe, proper and effective use of equipment and facilities through the provision of advice to staff and students.
• Assists in the installation of new equipment and preparation of safe operating guides, ensuring these are clearly displayed and accessible to all.
• Limited liaison and networking with outside agencies, visitors, etc.
• Works individually or as part of a technical team as appropriate,
• Assists in the maintenance of adequate stock levels of apparatus and materials, where appropriate.
• Assists in the design and construction of experiments and uses quantitative and qualitative analysis where necessary.
• Assists in the completion of risk assessment forms by staff and students within the facility, providing instruction and advice on completion of forms in accordance with legal and local requirements as required.
• Ensures the general cleanliness, organisation and tidiness of the facility and disposal of hazardous wastes. Ensures contaminated apparatus is dealt with in a safe manner in accordance with proper procedure. If necessary enforces proper procedures for the maintenance of the laboratory.
• Undertakes other duties commensurate with the grade as required by the Technical Manager or his/her officers.