TB and the Use of BCG in Animals: Does it matter to people - 18:00 BST, 9 June 2021
Next week, VALIDATE will hold its second public lecture as part of the BCG100 Campaign.It’s been over a century since the Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccine (BCG) was first used in cattle. After initial widespread use, the practice was replaced with a test and cull approach halfway through the twentieth century. However, the emergence of wildlife reservoirs of TB and the recognition that test and cull strategies are not possible in many countries has led scientists to re-evaluate the use of BCG in animals. In this talk Prof Michele Miller and Prof Glyn Hewinson will discuss why effective vaccine programmes for animals are essential to the health and wellbeing of humans and the challenges that we still face in making such programmes a reality.
This will not only be a great event for VALIDATE members but will also be suitable for non-scientists, so please help us spread the word by sharing the link with your friends, family, students or anyone interested in science.
The event will take place online on 9 June 2021 at 18:00 BST and you can register now - www.validate-network.org/event/bcg100-animals
- Multi-antigen Vaccination with LPD Nanoparticles containing rgp63 and rLmaC1N proteins induced effective immune response against leishmaniasis in animal model, Zamani P et al, in the Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology
- Co-Administration of Anticancer Candidate MK-2206 Enhances the Efficacy of BCG Vaccine Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Mice and Guinea Pigs, Bouzeyen R et al, in Frontiers in Immunology
- Flow cytometry method for absolute counting and single-cell phenotyping of mycobacteria, Barr DA et al, in bioRixv
- Sterilizing immunity: New opportunities for rational TB vaccine design, Sher A et al, in the Journal of Experimental Medicine
- Mining the Mycobacterium tuberculosis proteome for identification of potential T-cell epitope based vaccine candidates, Madan R et al, in Microbial Pathogenesis
- Geographical distribution of Burkholderia pseudomallei in soil in Myanmar, Maung Swe MM et al, in Plos NTD
- Adjuvant effects of TLR agonist gardiquimod admixed with Leishmania vaccine in mice model of visceral leishmaniasis, Goyal DK et al, in Genetics, Infection and Evolution
Check out our Publications Page for members' publications and email VALIDATE@ndm.ox.ac.uk if you have a paper you would like us to include.
Published: 2 June 2021